Saturday, May 24, 2014

Law Enforcement Notification


May 24, 2014

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing this letter as a concerned citizen.

This past Saturday, my wife and I were driving south on I5 from San Francisco to Los Angeles. Our car broke down, and we called a repair truck which asked us to drive to a 76 gas station located at:

While waiting for the repair truck I was approached by a girl in her early teens asking for help. She specifically asked, “Can you help me (pause)…with money (pause)…for gas?” Several things seemed odd about the situation:

1)  A middle aged man in a newer red/maroon mivi-van (Dodge Caravan) was parked on the side of the parking lot watching out of his rearview mirror while the girl asked for money. If this was her father, what type of father let’s their 13 or 14 year old teenage daughter approach strangers at a gas station/truck stop in the middle of nowhere?

2) The minivan had been circling the truck stop (large parking lot), which seemed odd if the car was low on gas.

3) The girl only approached me, and no one else in the parking lot.

4) After saying no, the mini-van immediately drove to the other side of the parking lot.

To make matters stranger, there is also a massive state penitentiary 8 miles from the gas station located in Avenal, CA from which inmates have escaped from in the past.  


So what happens when the hairs on the back of your neck stand up while being asked by a teenage girl for money at a truck stop in the middle of nowhere accompanied by a middle aged man in a minivan who didn't assist her in asking for money while located 8 miles from a major penitentiary? We called the Avenal Police Department. Calling 911 didn't seem appropriate at the time because no emergency had actually occurred and we could simply be wrong in our impression.

At 7:57pm on Saturday May, 17, 2014 I called the Avenal Police Department to offer a tip about the girl at the gas station. A person took down the information, my name and phone number.

Four days later, my wife and I were returning home from Los Angeles to San Francisco, and I decided to call my credit card company to find the exact time of my credit card transaction. I assumed having the exact time stamp (6:41pm on May 17, 2014) of when I was approached, what direction the vehicle was facing for plate numbers and a picture of the girl might be helpful in narrowing down searches on a security camera.

So at 11:14AM on Wednesday, May 21, 2014 I called the Avenal Police Department a second time. I explained I had called on Saturday with information about the teenage girl, and had an exact time she was at the gas station if helpful for an officer investigating. The dispatcher’s response floored me.

“Oh that 76 gas station is just outside of our jurisdiction. You’ll have to call Fresno County Sherriff for that.”

I proceeded to call the Sheriff's department, gave them the same information, but at this point it was 4 days old. A Google Map image shows the Avenal city limits with the location of the truck stop.


I had heard stories about the I-5 Freeway being a major pipeline for human trafficking and sex slavery, but that had always been “them,” which is always the case until you find yourself stranded waiting for a repair truck at a truck stop on a random freeway.

The day after returning home I took the image below from a story on CNN and couldn't help but think about the girl at the truck stop. Considering the attention lately of women being kidnapped and held for long periods of time that this would at least warrant minimal investigation.


I have no idea if anyone from law enforcement actually ever followed up, and I’m aware this can’t be disclosed to me. I understand the Police Department and Sheriff’s department are resource deprived especially on a Saturday night for an event that wasn’t actually a crime, and simply something that seemed out of place. I realize the Avenal Police Department was only formed within the last few years and likely has few officers to assist. However, while perhaps the girl was simply someone out of gas at a truck stop whose father felt comfortable letting his daughter ask for money without him, I would hate to know I was the person who could have said something but didn't.

Regardless of this particular circumstance, it is unacceptable for a call of this nature to slip through the jurisdictional red tape of city and county lines. If a tip or a crime is reported and it is outside of a city, county, or state or prison’s jurisdiction, that dispatcher should be required to pass the contact information along to the appropriate law enforcement agency or to notify the caller of the appropriate enforcement agencies to contact.

Criminals that conduct these acts don’t stop because of city lines. Maybe that is precisely why they choose the locations that they do.

I’m unsure of how to end this letter other than to ask:

1) Please, someone at least pull the license plate number.

2) Don’t let these situations fall through the cracks.

The Avenal Police Department and Fresno County Sheriff's Department both have my contact information if I can be of further help. Thank you.



2 comments:

  1. Hello, I would first like to thank the person who posted this. It is rare for someone to take the time out of their day to contact Law Enforcement when something does not seem right. I have researched the call for service and wanted to let you know Law Enforcement did respond to the location as a result of your call. The call was transferred from our Kings County Dispatch Center to the Fresno County Dispatch center who had deputies respond and investigate. I was told the van and child where not there when they arrived. The call was cleared as a result. I sent this information to the Kings County Sheriff’s Office and Avenal Police Department for their information as well. I know they will keep the information in mind while driving past this location.

    Thank you again for taking the time out of your day. My contact info is below if you have further questions.

    Karl R. Anderson, Chief of Investigations

    Kings County District Attorney's Office
    1400 W. Lacey Boulevard
    Hanford CA 93230
    (559) 582-0326- Office

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Karl Anderson, Chief of Investigations, Kings County DA
    Mr. Jack Amoroso, Chief of Police, Avenal Police Department

    Dear Mr. Anderson and Mr. Amoroso

    I appreciate your quick follow-ups, confirmation of the deputy dispatch, and in particular thanks to Mr. Anderson for taking the matter so sincerely and for responding over a holiday weekend.

    While I realize there is a very small chance of this situation amounting to anything, the importance is significant. The 76 station likely deletes their video archives frequently due to storage constraints...meaning information about the license plate, pictures etc. will not be available in the future. As per my original letter, I would like for the information to at least be documented.

    If an investigator were researching 3 or 4 years from now, or an unidentified female body was dumped in someone else's jurisdiction years from now as I know your office's have had to deal with, how will these pieces of information be tracked and utilized over time if not documented? http://abc30.com/archive/9478514/

    I understand procedure was followed, but what happens if an individual was driving from county to county or state to state?


    More importantly, it should not be so difficult for individuals to notify law enforcement to track these types of occurrences. I realize this is not a singular issue solvable by your respective departments but hope you might use this as an example for larger state and national entities. As examples in this process I have had the "missingpersons" email address for the Department of Justice direct me to a broken link to another division of the Department of Justice, the CHP has no contact form or publicly available email address, the District Attorney's page Contact Us page hasn't been updated since 2011 and is no longer working, and other law enforcement notification forms reject my submission for various reasons from phone numbers not being formatted correctly (entering area codes of '415' vs. (415)) or because street addresses do not match the official address databases and that there is no "phonetic match" to the address and therefore the tip is cannot be submitted online.

    How hard can we make it for individuals to report information?

    For context, I am sharing this as someone who grew up in a community where a young woman was abducted years ago. While I, and many others were unable to do anything at the time, this is a situation where it could potentially have an impact and at least help in the conversation about how to solve this ongoing problem. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Brooke_Wilberger As a side note, I didn't realize it until this response, but the letter I originally posted was dated on the 10th anniversary of her abduction. She was originally born in your area in Fresno.

    Thank you for your service.

    ReplyDelete